The latest XFCE 4.10 is not included in Xubuntu 12.04 LTS Precise Pangolin.
This is because XFCE 4.10 is released on 28th April just after Ubuntu 12.04 is released. But now you can install XFCE 4.10 on your Ubuntu desktop or upgrade XFCE to 4.10 on Xubuntu 12.04.
Major Changes in XFCE 4.10
The major changes in XFCE 4.10 are following:
- Online Documentation: User manuals in system are removed, they are now available at http://docs.xfce.org/
- Application Finder is completely rewritten.
- Panel have Multiple rows, Deskbar mode, Actions plugin and Windows buttons.
- Few visual changes in Thunar.
- Mouse and Touchpads can now handle basic Synaptics and Wacom properties in the GUI.
- Desktop manager can now do single-click operation, automated background image cycling and thumbnail rendering.
- Window Manager can now tile a window when you drag it to the edge of the screen.
Upgrade to XFCE 4.10 in Xubuntu 12.04
To upgrade your existing installation of Xubuntu 12.04 use following commands in Terminal
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xubuntu-dev/xfce-4.10 sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Now due to a bug, 3 packages will not be upgraded. To resolve this issue go to synaptic package manager and click “Mark all upgrades” and apply, you will then get a pop-up asking to remove a package, just click yes and wait it to complete than you are good to go.
Install XFCE 4.10 in Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Lubuntu 12.04
In Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Lubuntu 12.04 which are using different (other than XFCE) desktop environment, just use following commands to install XFCE 4.10 on those Ubuntu Distributions.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xubuntu-dev/xfce-4.10 sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
After you install/upgraded XFCE you might want to get Compiz/Emerald working on it, see Install Compiz Emerald in Xubuntu.
For more information about XFCE 4.10 go to XFCE tour.
Update 7 June, 2012: PPA updated (Thanks Mike)