After the release of the consumer preview of Windows 8 everyone is installing it to see what Microsoft has done this time to improve their OS. But to their dismay they are barred by a nagging dialogue that asks them for a product key before anything else, which is rather funny and confusing, as a beta version is open to all for testing purpose. Even the previous version (developer version) of Windows 8 required no product key to install.
Users were finding it difficult to locate the product key, rendering them unable to install this new OS. Following are the steps to go and get the Windows 8 CP (Beta) and its product key:
- Go to the Windows 8 official download page
- Scroll down and just beneath the video you will find this:
- Click the ‘Get it now’ button
- On the next page click the ‘Download’ button:
- A 5 Mb exe file will start downloading.
- After the downloading is finished run the setup. Follow the instructions and you will get your own product key.
A public key is also available which can be used for both 32-bit and 64-bit systems, anyone can use it. It will keep working until the release of next version of Windows 8.
Update 4 June, 2012: You can find product key for Windows 8 Release preview via same method. Additionaly you can also find Windows 8 Product Key on Windows 8 ISO download page. You will find product key for Windows 8 just below ISO download links.